Salmon burgers offer a host of opportunities to create the comfort food that makes memories. How often have we heard from customers, “My grandmother used to make salmon cakes, and I loved them!” This one recipe we like on the boat. We buy large cases of lemons to take to Alaska. Fresh lemons last surprisingly well, and add a nice touch to boat cooking.
Course: Main Course
Keyword: burger, Canned Salmon
Servings: 4 Burgers
- 2-7.5 oz cans ThinkPink and/or Redhead Traditional
- 2 eggs Lightly Beaten
- 4 TBL fresh parsley Minced
- 1 lemon Juiced and Zested
- 3 TBL fresh garlic Minced
- 1/2 Cup dry breadcrumbs
- Tabasco or similar hot sauce To Taste
- Kosher salt and pepper To Taste
- 2 TBL vegetable or avocado Oil
- 4 Squares Ciabatta or Foccacia or your favorite bun Split and Toasted
- fresh arugula
- 1 large egg
- 3 Cloves garlic
- 1 TBL fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt and pepper To Taste
- 1/2 Cup olive oil
Lemony Salmon Burgers
Combine all ingredients and form into cakes. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to 1 day.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Heat oil in your favorite frying pan on medium high heat(we like cast iron).
Once the oil has heated cook the burgers on each side until golden brown and transfer into the oven and cook for 10 more minutes.
On toasted bun spread freshly made garlic aioli and place a small amount of fresh arugula and a burger patty. Add any other condiments you prefer; fresh heirloom tomatoes or red onion would both be delicious.
Combine the garlic, egg, lemon juice, parsley, salt and pepper in a food processor or blender and puree. Add the oil in a slow stream and continue to process until the mixture has formed a thick emulsion.
How did I live my life without radish sauce? Radish sauce is a delicious and nutritious accompaniment to many recipes, but is especially delicious with these great salmon cakes.
Course: Main Course, Side Dish
Keyword: Canned Salmon, horseradish, shrimp
Salmon and Shrimp Cakes
- 2 7.5 oz Cans ThinkPink and/or Redhead Traditional
- 1/2 LB Small Bay Shrimp Preferably wild caught from Oregon
- 2 eggs
- 1 Cup green peas Canned, Frozen or Steamed Fresh
- 3/4 Cup green onions Thinly sliced
- 1/3 Cup mayonnaise or Vegannaise
- 2 Cups Panko Breadcrumbs Divided
- 2 TBL fresh tarragon (or 2 tsp dried) Minced
- 2 TBL Vegetable or Avocado Oil
- Salt and Pepper To taste
Double Radish Sauce
- 1/3 Cup Light Sour Cream
- 1 1/2 Cup Red or Daikon Radishes Shredded
- 1 1/2 TBL horseradish Cream Style
Using a food processor, pulse shrimp until finely minced.
Put the minced shrimp to large bowl and add salmon, eggs, peas, scallion, 1 cup of the bread crumbs, mayonnaise, tarragon, and salt& pepper. Stir well.
Divide into 12 portions, shape into cakes and coat with reserved breadcrumbs.
Heat large skillet over medium high, then add 1 TBSP oil. Reduce heat to medium, brown patties cooking about 4 minutes per side or until golden brown. Don’t crowd the pan. Keep patties warm in 250 degrees oven and then cook remaining.
These cakes freeze beautifully. Make a double batch and securely wrap the uncooked cakes and freeze. Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes or heat them in a lightly oiled frying pan.
Prep Time: 15 minutes minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes minutes
Servings: 4 Servings
- 1 TBL Butter
- 2 TBL curry powder
- 5 Green Onions
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper Seeded and Minced
- 3 cloves Garlic Minced
- 1/2 inch piece Fresh Ginger Peeled and Grated
- 2 cans ThinkPink and/or Redhead Traditional Drained
- 3 large Eggs Lightly beaten
- 3/4 cups Dry Breadcrumbs pPreferably panko
- 1/2 cup Pistachios Chopped
- 1/4 cup Parsley Minced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Vegetable Oil for frying
- 1/4 cup Mayo or Vegannaise
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp Lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp Paprika
Melt butter in small frying pan over medium heat, then add curry powder, cooking briefly until it darkens slightly and become aromatic. Add onion, jalapeno pepper, garlic and ginger. Cook for 2 minutes or until garlic is golden.
Gently blend cooked ingredients, drained and mashed salmon, eggs, breadcrumbs, pistachios, parsley and salt & pepper in a bowl.
Make 8 balls, pressing each into a nice salmon cake. You may also make 16 portions and serve as delicious and unique appetizers.
Heat large frying pan over medium heat, add oil and fry a few cakes at a time about 3 minutes per side or until nicely browned
Serve with Curry-Lemon Sauce or your favorite chutney.
Leave a Reply